Dr. Susanta Pahari, PhDProfessor
BiographyI am an educationist with both research and academic background having both national and international experience. I got my Ph. D in Biochemistry from University of Calcutta in 1996. Subsequently, I have worked in Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, India and abroad in three internationally reputed premier institutes Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan; Stockholm University, Sweden and National University of Singapore, Singapore. I have also worked in two leading Indian Biotech Industries Syngene International Private Limited (subsidiary of Biocon group of Companies) and Aurigene Discovery Technologies (subsidiary of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratory). I am serving in the academic environment since 2007 very successfully and my adopted teaching-learning processes and administrative acumen has been highly lauded.
1. Address & Contact:
Office: Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Industrial Chemistry
Skyline University, Nigeria (https://sun.edu.ng/)
No 2 Zaria Road, opposite Old Kano-Line Bus-Stop Kano, Nigeria
Phone: +919916482030, +2349081410102 (preferably through WhatsApp)
Personal: # 6 Abbas Road, Kano, Nigeria
I am currently staying in abroad, hence requested to communicate through e. mail initially.
Date of Birth: 27th July 1964
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/susanta-pahari-473a5a10/
2. Education and Awards:
Ph. D. in Biochemistry, University of Calcutta, India (1996)
M. Sc. in Biochemistry (Specialization: Molecular Biology), University of Calcutta, India
B. Sc. in Chemistry (major), Physics and Mathematics, University of Calcutta, India
National scholarship award in Bachelor qualification
National Eligibility Test (NET) qualified in graduation program
3. Academic career history:
a. Research (Post Doctoral Positions)
- Dept of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore; 2003 – 2007
- Dept of Biochemistry, Stockholm University, Sweden; 1998-2000
- Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan; 1997-1998
- Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, India; 1996-1997
- Skyline University Nigeria, Sept. 2018 – to date
- Indian Academy Degree College (affiliated to Bangalore University), Bangalore, India; August 2010 – August 2018
- CMR group of institutions (affiliated to Bangalore University), Bangalore, India; February 2008 – July 2010
- Center for Postgraduate Studies, Sri Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain College (affiliated to Bangalore University) , Bangalore, India; August 2007 – January 2008
- Science Fellow, Aurigene Discovery Technologies Ltd. (a subsidiary of Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories), Bangalore, India; August 2002- January 2003
- Senior Scientific Associate, Syngene International Pvt. Ltd. (Biocon group of companies), Bangalore, India; November 2000- July 2002
a. Publication in media:
- World university rankings and Indian universities. Current Science (2011) 100: 7.
- Can semester portability improve quality of education? Link: http://www.indiaeducationreview.com/article/can-semester-portability-improve- quality-education
- Popular demand of Science Education in India is dwindling down: causes and potential remedials – Current Science (2014), 106, 928.
- “Snake Venom production varies with prey” - The Straits Times (a leading daily news publication in Singapore), 29th September 2007, ps 12
- “Common toxin in krait, viper, cobra venom”: Expert – Deccan Herald, 25th December (Tuesday), 2007
c. Research Articles (* Equal contribution):
- Robin Doley, Susanta Pahari, Md Abu Reza, Stephen P. Mackessy and R. Manjunatha Kini: The gene structure and evolution of ku-wap-fusin (Kunitz waprin fusion toxin), a novel protein from Sistrurus catenatus – an evolutionary intermediate of the Kunitz and Waprin toxins. The Open Evolution Journal (2010), 4, 31-41.
- Robin Doley*, Susanta Pahari*, Stephen P. Mackessy and R. Manjunatha Kini: Accelerated exchange of exon segments in Viperid three-finger toxin genes (Sistrurus catenatus edwardsii; Desert Massasauga): BMC Evolutionary Biology (2008), 8: 196.
- Susanta Pahari, Stephen P. Mackessy and R. Manjunatha Kini: The venom gland transcriptome of the Desert Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus edwardsii): towards an understanding of venom composition among advanced snakes (Superfamily Colubroidea): BMC Molecular Biology (2007), 8:115. (Highlighted article)
- Susanta Pahari, Bickford D, Bryan G Fry and R. Manjunatha Kini: -Expression pattern of three-finger toxin and phospholipase A2 genes in the venom glands of two sea snakes, Lapemis curtus and Acalyptophis peronii: comparison of evolution of these toxins in land snakes, sea kraits and sea snakes: BMC Evolutionary Biology (2007), 7, 175. (Highlighted article)
- Roy Joseph*, Susanta Pahari*, Wayne C. Hodgson and R Manjunatha Kini: Hypotensive agents from snake venoms. Current Drug Targets – Cardiovascular & Haematological Disorders (2004), 4, 435-457.
- Susanta Pahari and Dipankar Chatterji: Interaction of bacteriophage T4 AsiA protein with E. coli 70 and it’s variant. FEBS letter (1997), 411, 60-62.
- Susanta Pahari, Amal Pari and D.J. Chattopadhyay: Periplasmic expression of biologically active vesicular stomatitis virus P protein in E. coli. Protein Expression and Purification (1996), 7, 384-388.
- Susanta Pahari and D.J. Chattopadhyay: Mutagenesis study to ameliorate the bacterial expression of phosphoprotein P of Vesicular Stomatitis Virus. Journal of Biosciences (1996), 21, 687-697.
- Plenary Speaker for National Conference on Genomics, Proteomics & Systems Biology (1st – 3rd October-2008) jointly organized by Department of Biotechnology, Sir M. Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology and Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering, held at J. N. Tata Auditorium, IISc Campus, Bangalore, India.
- Summer Research Fellowship in Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore from June – July 2009.
- Convener of the Annual Symposium Event of CMRIMS College “BIOFUTURA 2010” held on 12-13/03/2010 at the college premises.
- Resource person for the DST sponsored “INSPIRE-2012” program: Title of the talk “Life -> Genome -> Gene”.
Vision Group on Science and Technology, Govt. of Karnataka, India
Indian Academy Education Trust, Bangalore, India
"I hereby declare that the above mentioned information is true to the best of my knowledge and belief" –